Extract from the Global Fund Note on COVID-19
The escalating COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic is changing the way that we live and work. The Global Fund is adapting to the rapidly changing circumstances, to remain focused on:
- Maximizing impact from the current grant cycle, and
- Working with partners for the timely submission of high-quality grant applications, along with strong Prioritized Above Allocation Requests.
In the Guidance Note on Responding to COVID-19, the Global Fund underlined that
The Global Fund strongly encourages countries to consider and take prompt action to mitigate the potential negative consequences of COVID-19 on existing programs supported by Global Fund grants. Particular attention should be given to health worker protection, communication to affected communities, maintenance of essential services, supply chain coordination, early replenishment of stocks, disinfection of assets, waste management. Related costs may be approved by the Global Fund as eligible expenditure.
To give countries further flexibility in responding to COVID-19, the Global Fund will consider, subject to prior approval:
- Timebound reprogramming of savings under existing grants (up to a limit of 5% of total grant value) and/or;
- Redeployment of resources procured through existing grants, particularly infrastructure and capacities that become under-utilized because of COVID-19.
Eligible activities include, but are not limited to:
- Epidemic preparedness assessment;
- Laboratory testing;
- Sample transportation;
- Use of surveillance infrastructure;
- Infection control in health facilities;
- Information campaigns.
Where there are no savings possible in existing grants or in other exceptional circumstances, an existing grant may be re-programmed up to an additional limit of another 5% of its total value.
The Global Fund constantly monitors COVID-19 developments and is working to adapt its guidelines accordingly. Further updates will be issued in the coming weeks. Visit their website for the latest information following this link>>>.